Well, it's official. On April 25th, Heather and I closed on our new house in Mt. Lebanon. Lately, we've been coordinating work with a roofer, a painter, a general contractor, a hardwood floor specialist, and an electrician to get the house ready for us to move in.
There were several projects which we were wanting to have done before we moved in. Many people have told us that it is much easier on everyone involved if the work is done on an empty house. Thus, we're actually getting more work done then we had anticipated, but we think it will be well worth it.
An example of what we are getting done is in the living room. The living room had two built in bookshelves. (See a picture here) Although the bookshelves looked ok, neither one kept the Victorian style of the house very well. What's worse is that the bookshelf on the left was actually installed over a window. That's right, someone had removed the framing of the window and installed a bookshelf flush with the wall. This was unfortunate as the room didn't really get much light in it at all. The one window at the front of the room was shaded due to a tree and the front porch. The rest of the light in the room was coming in from the dining room.
The bookshelves were removed last week. What a difference the window makes! We walked in on Saturday morning and the room was brightly lit with the morning sun. It made quite a difference on the room and we think that it will be a change for the better.
Of course, now we have to go fix the walls behind the bookshelves, but that's a different story for a different time!
Hopefully, everything will be done in about three to four weeks and we'll be able to move into our new house!